1rd International Contemporary Art Festival Patras│ RE-culture 1
20 October – 25 November 2012, Agora Argyri, Patras – Greece
Art in Progress introduced and organized the first international exhibition RE-culture 1 in Patras. RE-culture 1 was held in the Argyris Market and hosted important artists from all around the world and from different areas of Fine Arts.
The cultural event was founded under the auspices of the Ministry of Education, Religious Affairs, Culture and Sports, the Municipality of Patras, the University of Patras, the Athens School of Fine Arts and the Association of Hellenic Tourism & Travel Agencies-HATTA.
All events lasted from October 20 to November 25, 2012 .
The cultural event │RE-culture 1 formed for the first time in Patras, a modern cultural activities platform, providing the opportunity for the general public to have different approaches of contemporary visual arts both in Greece and abroad.
The dynamics of RE-culture 1 unfolded in three parallel areas:
The first axis was formed by a Visual Art exhibition of contemporary works of Art. The exhibits covered all areas of art, such as painting, sculpture, engraving, construction, video-Art, performance etc.
So more than 8,500 visitors had the opportunity to appreciate closely the trends of visual arts.
The second axis integrated parallel performances held in the city of Patras within RE-culture 1.
The third axis gave a large number of citizens, the opportunity to participate in workshops about art.
Every Saturday and Sunday, 26 artists from Greece and abroad imparted their knowledge and their positive energy to more than 800 stakeholders.
We also inform you that RE-culture 1 was non-profit and relied on the voluntary efforts of active citizens.
Key factors for RE-culture 1 were:
- Harvalias Georgios, Rector of Athens School of Fine Arts and curator of the postgraduate video art project “MOVING IMAGE”.
- Papakonstantinou Eirini, Art Ηistorian – Curator. Permanent collaborator of the State Museum of Contemporary Art. Responsible for Thessaloniki’s Biennale Festival «performance». She curated two performances and an installation, in the frame of RE-culture 1.
- Kritikou Iris, Art historian – Curator. With great experience in the area of fine arts, she is working as an independent curator for major Greek artists and cooperates with Museums, Institutions and private art galleries both in Greece and abroad. She was the curator of the project “FILO # XEΝΙΑ” in the frame of RE-culture 1.
- Petratou Kiki, Artist – Curator. Representative of «Attraction of the Opposites”, a multicultural group of artists living in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
- Working group of the artistic institution in Berlin NGBK. They presented the project titled «We Play».
- Vlastaras Vassilis and Glyka Maria, Artists-curators. They presented artists from all over the world during the project “Mobility and Identity”.
- Potamianou Artemis, Artist – Curator. Active both in Greece and abroad. She was the curator of the project “A4”, that was presented in RE-culture1.
- Panonidou Elpida, Artist – Educator. She mainly acted as curator in educational projects during RE-culture 1.
- Kostopoulos Kleomenis, Artist. The president of the non-profit organization Art in Progress and the artistic director of RE-culture 1.
RE-culture 1 participant artists:
Nora Agapi, Sonia Almeida, Anna Ampariotou, Ada Anastasea, Vanessa Anastasopoulou, Thorbjørn Andersen, Nikos Arvanitis, Katerina Athanasiou, Freja Backman, Erika Baglyas, Amelia Bande, Wolfang Berkowski, Marko Blazo, Margarita Bofiliou, Maria Bourika, Eirini Bratti, Nikos Charalambidis, Ioannis Charitidis, Yiannis Christakos, Thalia Chioti, Gavriella Gerolemou, Anne Daems, Nikolaos Dalezios, Konstantinos Daldakis, Kleopatra Digka, Gina Dimakopoulou, Efi Doltsini, Marianne Eigenheer, Seamus Farrell, Panagiotis Ferentinos, Paraskevi Gavriil, Viki Georgiopoulou, Maria Glyka, Guillaume Durand, Daniele Genadry, Alexandros Georgiou, Gil & Moti, Guerrilla Girls, Yiannis Grigoriadis, Johanna Hällsten, Merja Hannikainen, Martin Hansen, Jim Hobbs, Annika Högner, Karem Ibrahim, Vappu Jalonen, Katerina Kana, Elena Karagianni, Giorgos Karamanolakis, Bogg Johanna Karlsson, Ioannis Karpouzis, Maria Kavalaraki, Theophilos Katsipanos, Dimitris Katsoudas, Ioanna Kazaki, Giorgos Kazazis, Yannis Kondaratos, Harris Kondosphyris, Kosmas Kosmopoulos, Kleomenis Kostopoulos, Christos Kotsoulas (Capten), Marina Krontira, Panagiotis Koulouras, Spyros Kousouris, Yasimin Kunz, Stephen Lee, Maria Lianou, Vaggelis Lioudakis, Clara T. López, Grigoris Markatos, Katharina D. Martin, Edyta Masior, Kiriaki Mavrogeorgi, Yiannis Melanitis, Adonis Migkos, Anna Mihailidou, Alexis Milne, Penny Monogiou, Aggeliki Mpardaki, Athina Nikolaou, Antonis P, Alice Palaska, Patrick Fabina Panetta, Elpida Eirini Panonidou, Grigoris Panopoulos, Nikos Papadimitriou, Gioula Papadopoulou, Teresa Papamichali, Aliki Pappa, Konstantinos Patsios, Kiki Petratou, Lisa Peachey, Michaela Pliaplia, Alexandros Plomaritis, Nikos Podias, Lydia-Andriani Polykandrioti, Chistoph Raitmayr, Ellie Reid, Evi Renieri, Giorgos Rorris, Sven Sachsalber, Pietro Sanguineti, Nikos Sepetzoglou, Andreas Sitorengo, Evaggelia Skaziale, Yiannis Skaltsas, Giorgos Sofianopoulos, Giorgos Sourmelis, Margarita Stathelli, Rita Stavraki, Aggeliki Stelaki, Peter Suchin, Angela Svoronou, Jedsada Tangtrakulwong, Dimitris Tataris, Yiannis Theodoropoulos, Emilios Theofanous, Magnus Thierfelder, Mark Titchner, Panagiotis Tomaras, Duro Toomato, Maggy Touliatou, Nikos Tranos, Maria Tsagkari, Giorgos Tserionis, Andreas Vakalios, Alexander van Merle, Antonis Vaos, Kostis Velonis, Georgia Vorria, Andreas Voussouras, Marios Voutsinas, Yumiko Yoneda, Paschalis Zervas, Stamatis Zervas, Giorgos Zitis, Dimitris Zouroudis,
The aim of the training programs was to make citizens aware of contemporary art, participate in it, and make them raise awareness through creative activity methods. The educational programs included drawing lessons, color, art games, construction, movement-dance, theater, music, Street Art, etc.
Theatre Workshop: “Utopia’s Immigrants”
Visual Workshop: “The perception of different”
Dance Workshop: “My own other”
Theatre Workshop: “Diversity”
Dance Workshop: “Movement”
Creative Writing Workshop: “Dilemma and choice”
Creative Writing Workshop: “Playing with the floor”
Visual Workshop: “Portraits”
Creative Writing Workshop: “Diversity through a glance”
Visual Workshop: “Where children live in the world?”
Visual Workshop: “Getting together our diversities”
Theatre Workshop: “Experiential Workshop”
Theatre Workshop: The other that stranger’
Theatre Workshop: “The mass and the different”
Theatre Workshop: “Costumes and Masks»
Dance Workshop: “Life elsewhere”
Dance Workshop: “Street – Route – Process»
Theatre Workshop: “The inner body”
Dance Workshop: “The joy behold, not distant and strange”
Maro Galani, Nicholas Forlidas, Pantelis Hatzopoulos.
4 Pottery Studio:“A primordial material”
Elias Christopoulos, Vaso Fatourou, Tota Kontogeorgα
Engraving Workshop: “The birth of engraving. From the mold till the image.”
StreetArt Workshop: “When the ephemeral creates ephemeral I,II”
StreetArt Workshop: “Making greyness I, II, III, IV, V, VI”
Group «waks»: slipy, poiz and jimmyretard.
At the same time, artworks were created on city walls.